Monday, April 30, 2012

Attending A Curtin University Graduation

The school received an invitation letter from Curtin University to attend its scholarship awards and graduation ceremonies. Boss suggested that I attend one of the events to "get some tips" as he put it.

So I did. I chose to benchmark the graduation ceremony. There had to be something that I could learn from a distinguished university such as this.

The event was held at the university itself. At the information desk, I identified myself as a representative from a school. I was told to go get a ticket at one of the counters. I walked towards one at the other side of the foyer and on the way, identified myself to a boy manning an entrance. He got me ushered into the hall. Otherwise it would be awkward, wouldn't it?

I sat at the aisle, where I could observe clearly. At 10.00 a.m., the proceedings commenced with the academic procession and followed by the National Anthems, both of Malaysia and Australia.

 Part of the academic procession
 
The academics on stage 

The speeches and conferment of awards were ensued. Then the valedictorians gave their speeches. The charge to the graduates were read out and just before the conclusion, there was an occasional speech by the VIP.

The emcee then announced for the stage party to leave the hall. The ceremony was short and sweet.

Did I learn anything? Hmn, yeah but it is my opinion that graduation ceremonies were more or less similar across all academic institutions. But what I wanted to point out was the excitement and happiness of their graduates, and also the pride on the faces of their family members. I am pretty sure they will remember this occasion for a long time to come.

Congratulations! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...