Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Stopping By Food Stop

A***** just got her new car yesterday. A Toyota Hilux. And so the three of us drove out to Ta Kiong to shop. Hmn, on a weekend like this, there were many products to sample. I got a free full-sized Munchy's Muzic Bar. Yippie. Happy. The one I got was the Choco Coated Nuts Wafer. It was very yum. Recommended, if you like chocolates and nuts. I bought some for myself.

Then, there was a Taiwan products fair there. We watched a cooking demonstration, where this Taiwanese lady was cooking Taiwanese Rice Noodles. 

She brought some water to boil and poured a whole sachet of flavouring into the water. She let it boil for a while. The sachet came with the packet of noodles.

The rice noodles were soaked for a while in water till it softened.

Then, she put them into the flavoured water to let it simmer till the broth thickened. I did not wait long enough for the noodles to be ready. Impatient!! ;p 

Instead, we headed to Food Stop, as the food court at Merdeka Mall is known. There's this nondescript-looking stall named 家鄉菜 a.k.a. Home-cooking in English.


Next to it is 


But apparently, they are operated by the same people as orders for Western food were placed at 家鄉菜.

American Breakfast, RM6.50
I did not eat this, so no review. ;p Pretty ordinary looking if you ask me.

Pork Belly With Salted Fish, RM10.00

 Looking a tad charred, eh? 
Hmn. Taste wise, this dish was alright - salty, a bit pungent from the salted fish and onions, and spicy because of the chillies. The gravy would be good with plain white rice. I thought the pork was slightly overcooked, a bit chewy. And I would have loved to bite into bits of salted fish in the dish. There was none, though.

Well, I don't mind trying out other dishes here in the future - they have different types of stir-fried vegetables and other meat dishes too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...