Monday, May 14, 2012

2012 Intake

Every year, I wonder what sort of students I was going to receive. Would they be bright and intelligent? Or did they come just for the sake of coming to school? Would they be difficult to manage? Would they give me heartache after heartache?

In 2008, the group was whiny. Lodging complaints was their hobby. They complained about absolutely everything, some so petty. None of them obtained very outstanding results, and since then have not been heard of.

In 2009, I got a mixed lot. There was a group which was made up of very rebellious individuals. They drove me up the wall throughout the year, and when they left at the end of 2010, I could not help but feel relieved. On the other hand, there were good students too, and they continued to stay in touch till today.

In 2010, the students were angels. They were actively involved in school and they wanted to study as well. They had worked very hard and it was no surprise that their results were great.

The students who came in 2011 are still in school today. They are also angels. They are involved in school, and behave very well, and though their academic performance have not been so great, they do have the potential to do well if they just focus and put in extra effort. My girls are absolutely reliable, and are full of initiative. They are very responsible and are good at organising events. They have helped me a whole lot in managing all my activities. So I'm so thankful for them. Love you gals!

Hmn. This year, I was really not prepared for the intake. I did not start preparing until a week ago when I was called for a briefing at the Education Office. Thankfully, I had copies of materials from last year, which I modified and used.

Then, I worried about Orientation because it was going to be 3 weeks long. What activities would I fill their time with for 3 whole weeks? I thought about it and drafted something and approached my colleagues at the Counselling Unit and they came back with modules to fill in the Orientation Programme. Phew! 

Finally, registration day came and went for the 2012/2013 batch, and it's the first day of Orientation today. And guess what? The students have already broken the record for bringing the most contraband!!

 5 mobile phones of various kinds, cosmetics, sunglasses, a large packet of sweets, junk food, mirrors and even a hair cream.

Me : Why do you bring this? *In nasty mode*
Them : I forgot to remove from my bag. *Sounds lame to me*

Me : Mobile phones are not allowed in ANY school! Why did you bring your mobile phone? *Glare at them*
Them : Because in ** (their former school), the students are allowed to bring and keep them turned off.  *Excuses! Excuses!*
Me : Hello! Hello! Go to the gate and READ the name of the school. Are you still in **?

Some kids think that they can register anytime they like. Registration was yesterday. A few came today in their tight shirts and skinny jeans and think that they can be registered for school. "I DON"T WANT TO REGISTER YOU! GO HOME AND BRING YOUR PARENTS HERE!!" I shouted.

Well, well, well. This does not seem like a good start, does it? What do you think? I can only keep my fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...