Friday, May 4, 2012

Dinner @ 老杨私房菜

This restaurant is located at Piasau. They serve dim sum in the morning and steamboat at night. At the last minute, the girls detoured to have their dinner here.

Hmn. I kind of liked the decor. The bamboo partition made dining here a private affair.

I loved the teapots decorating the wall! 

The decoration aside, the party wanted to have good food too! What did we eat?

First up, we ordered a pot of chrysanthemum tea to share ...

 Clear chrysanthemum tea, no sugar added. I found it soothing to my throat. The restaurant also serves the usual carbonated drinks, homemade barley and soy drinks, fruit juices, and home-brewed coffee and tea.

Since there weren't any stir-fried noodles available here, we ordered rice instead. 
 
Plain white rice

And to eat with the rice were
 
Cangkuk Manis In Coconut Milk , RM12.00
 马来树仔菜
Hmn. I liked the veg. In there were not only cangkuk manis, but also strips of baby corn. The gravy was rather lemak, and pungent with the generous use of anchovies and belacan. Although the dish was little bit on the salty side, it was very appetising.
 
Pork Chop Chinese Style, RM16.00
 排骨
The pork was tender and nicely battered and deep-fried. The sauce was superb too - fragrant, sweet and sour.
 
 Lao Yang Bean Curd, RM12.00
老样招牌豆腐
 Well, the tofu balls were crispy on the outside and rather light. It had in there a mixture of meat, I think. Other than that, I could not really figure out the taste. I did not really like it, but my friend did! 

And then, of course, came the most anticipated dish of all, the steamboat.

Steamboat set, RM60.00 for a small set
The steamboat cooking over charcoal. We waited a while till it boiled and then ...
 
Opening up to see the treasures inside ...
There were reasonably large squares of fish maw, pig stomach slices, beancurd skin, shiitake mushroom slices, pork balls, prawn balls, egg rolls, and Chinese long cabbage in a clear broth. There was also a sprinkle of wolfberries in there.

 My bowl
 The soup was clear and sweet, I liked all the ingredients in there, particularly the fish maw and pig stomach.
 
Chilli jar, just help yourselves! 
I ate my steamboat with lots of this tangy chilli

The bill amounted to RM116.00, and that averaged out to RM20.00 per person. I would say that this is a reasonably nice place to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...