Thursday, May 10, 2012

Clear Cucumber Soup

I'm not sure if anyone cooks cucumber this way. But somehow, it's one of my favourite soups, one which I always cook especially on a cold, rainy day.

I'm not even sure how this recipe comes about. I probably had it when I was a child, cooked for me by my maternal Grandma.


Cucumber Soup
It's all very easy to prepare. I brought water to boil, and added in the cucumbers, meatballs, prawns, an egg and some dongcai 东菜. Simmer for a while and add in seasoning. I like to add fish sauce instead of salt. Then, drizzle with shallot oil and garnish with deep-fried shallots. Add a dash of pepper if you like.
 
I soaked some glass noodles in water. When they softened, I put them in my serving bowl and poured the hot soup over them. That'll cook the noodles in no time.

The key ingredient to this dish is actually the prawns. They lend a natural sweetness to the refreshing cucumber soup. If prawns are not available, I will usually substitute with prawn balls. Otherwise, don't bother cooking at all.

Well, if you are one who enjoys eating cucumber stir-fries, I reckon that you will enjoy this soup. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...