Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Little Hair-raising Experience

I chopped off my locks today. 

I hope it does not sound too self-centred nor too boastful, but I am blessed with healthy hair. I always think that it is to make up for the endless list of other physical flaws that I have. Lol. Anyway, by itself, my hair is thick and black, straight and lustrous. So I've always kept it long, often flowing straight to the waist.

Another reason why I keep my hair long is probably because I have a phobia of getting a haircut. I had gotten a horrible haircut once, due to miscommunication, and I had no choice but to WEAR that ugly hairstyle for such a long time. A few weeks ago, I told my friend that I keep my hair because I can't find anyone I trust to cut it. She thought I was joking. Lol.

But my long hair was getting unmanageable. When I washed it, many strands would fall and I thought I was going bald. Still, I did not know which hair salon to go to. Until my friend recommended her former classmate, Alex. He is the leading hairstylist at Lavish Studio. According to my friend, he is very cautious when he cuts the hair. "He likes to take his time. Don't hurry him," my friend says.

Okie. He sounds like a hairstylist I can try out. Even then, I did not go immediately. I sat on the idea for 2 weeks and let it brew. Today, I made up my mind. I called Alex and made an appointment. 10.30 a.m., he said.

Lavish Studio is located at Jalan Silvia. Don't know? Okie. Never mind. I did not know either. But do you know Citrus Restaurant? How about Syazwan Bakery? Lavish is in between Citrus and Syazwan. It opened in July last year. Really, I'd passed this area many times but failed to realise that there's a salon.

So, I reached there 10 minutes ahead of schedule. I walked into the studio and was seated. Alex appeared, a young chap who is pretty decent looking. He combed my hair with his fingers, and asked how I wanted it cut. Me? I really did not know. I only wanted it shorter and more manageable. I asked him what he thought. Alex said he would cut off half the length. Blunt cut, no layers, no fringe.

He also suggested a scalp treatment and a shampoo first. Okie, fine. I did not mind treatment and shampoo once in a long, long while. That done, Alex proceeded to cut my hair. Snip. snip. snip. Bit by bit, meticulously, him being a hairstylist totally devoted to his craft. It went on and on for an hour. Indeed, he took his time, even though there was another customer who was waiting for him. 

The result? Hmn, Alex cut off two-thirds of my hair. It is now shoulder-length, dramatically shorter than I had expected, and shorter than I've ever worn my hair before in the last 10 years! But it feels so much lighter and I look more youthful. :))

Was it scary? Yeah, a little bit. Phew!!! Do I like my new hair? Hmn, it looks chic, I think. And I don't look horrid. But I still do not really know whether I like it or not. Alex hinted that I may want to go even shorter next round. Dare I? Wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...