Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bring Your Own Bento Box

Everyone is given a free container at school this morning. I picked one with a yellow lid. Yellow is a happy colour. I wanted mine looking bright and cheerful. ;))

The kids now are learning to bring their own bento boxes when buying food from the canteen. The objective is to reduce waste in school. I fully agree with this initiative. Even though polystyrene containers were not used, food was packed in paper containers. The amount of rubbish did not reduce and the school failed to educate the students to utilise REUSABLE containers.

Starting this week, the orders and payment are submitted early in the morning and then the students will pick up their boxes during recess.

  Some bento boxes, ready to be picked up.
The boxes were labeled with students' names and class. Some students even personalised the containers to make it uniquely their own!
 
Nasi lemak & nasi goreng.
But wait a minute, did I detect a plastic spoon in there? Hmn. Small as it is, it's still a disposable spoon. A throw-away spoon. I'd better suggest to the students to bring their own spoon. We're into this already, so why not do it right all the way through.

Well, I've also been bringing my own lunches. Sad to say it, but I'm quite sick of the food at the canteen at this point in time. Here's a sneak peak to some of my lunches :

 Erm ... does it look pathetic to you? 
Steam-fried mustard greens and carrot in garlic with white rice.


Nope, I haven't turned vegetarian. It's just that I wanted something really plain ;))  Sometimes, I'd go for noodles.

Stir-fried rice vermicelli the way I like it, with lots of crunchy strips of cabbage, carrot and black fungus, mushrooms, egg and mince.

Instant noodles made healthier with lots of vegetables, meat and an egg

 Well, I suppose I'll be bringing my own bento lunch boxes till I get sick of cooking. ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...