Thursday, April 19, 2012

Doing Good

What is better for students to learn about compassion than to go out there and care for others? It's true that in school, we often tell the students what they "should" do. But are there opportunities created for them to really do it?

One of my projects every semester is to bring my students out for community service. We have been to the orphanage, the hospital, and this time around, we went to the Old Folks' Home. It's my first time there.

Part of the building was burnt down on 9 January 2012 due to wiring problems. Restoration is now in progress. We spent our afternoon in the hall, which was newly built. There were 19 men and 8 women living there, their age ranging from 54 - 98 years old. There was even a pair of twin sisters.

Part of the hall. Donated furniture.

Restoration work in progress ...

Well, first of all, I must commend my kiddies. They have done a great, great job because they have prepared everything we needed, absolutely everything I asked of them and even MORE. Preparation began last month when I got them to make souvenirs for the old folks. Most chose to make decorative items as gifts. Then, I asked them to practise their performances. They did it on their own without any supervision from me.

This week, I asked them each to contribute 2 pieces of fruits and a packet of biscuits. The kiddies went home, and came back with so much more. They bought not only fruits and biscuits, they bought oats and basins and sarong and more! Someone made egg sandwiches. Someone's mom donated 2 cheese cakes - and homemade ones too! Another's mom made agar-agar jelly for the old folks. So, I must really thank the kiddies' parents for their support.

Goodies for the elderly ...

So what did the kiddies do there? Hmn, they chatted with the old folks, performed 2 songs, gave them a bit of massages on the shoulders, and then showered them with food and gifts. I can see that the old folks really enjoyed the refreshments!
 
Massage time ...

Wow!!! I was impressed with the cake!

My slice of cake ... yum ...

Me and my colleague? Well, we also took the opportunity to mingle around. I spent my time chatting with a friendly old man. His surname is 谢. So is my Mom's, I told him. He said I have to address him as 叔公 - Granduncle. Lol. He sure has a sense of humour.

He is an 82-year-old Hakka and is the longest-staying resident there. He has stayed there for 15 years! He sometimes takes the bus to town. Free-of-charge, he said. Apparently, the bus company gives concession on bus rides to town. He also shares with me his daily routine. He said that he sleeps by 7.00 p.m. and wakes up after 6 hours. He will lay in bed till about 4 a.m. when he gets up to read newspapers. Breakfast will be served at 9.00 a.m., and then lunch between 1.30 p.m. to 2.00 p.m. Dinner, I asked? He said there is no dinner but they often make hot drinks by themselves. Hmn. Their last meal at 2.00 p.m. daily? Perhaps there is a reason for this. I really do not know. Whatever it is, he said he is very thankful to be able to stay there at the Home.

Before long, it was time to say our good-byes. My colleague and I assured them we would be back whenever opportunity arose. "When you come back next year, I do not know whether I will be still here," he said. "At my age, I am prepared to go," he added.

How sad to hear that.

The kiddies, too, have been impacted in some ways. One boy was overcome with emotions and had to calm himself down for a while outside the Home. Another girl said she felt great to be doing something simple but meaningful. I was also happy seeing everybody involved and co-operating.

Well done, kiddies. I truly hope that you will all mature and develop a sense for altruism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...