Sunday, April 29, 2012

Off To Camp II

The camp was located at about 28km away from my house. I drove there at a leisurely speed while enjoying my favourite songs on the hit radio.

I reached there at about 6.45 a.m. The kiddies were still having their breakfast. Many ate instant cup noodles. Some were munching on their breads and some ate biscuits. A hot water dispenser was available, so the kiddies could make their favourite hot drinks.

The teachers too were having their breakfast.

Fried Rice

Fried Rice Vermicelli

What was my job?? I asked the camp commandant on duty. He requested that I helped him take the attendance of teachers. Then because there was shortage of manpower, I was asked to accompany the kiddies for the morning activities. At 7.30 a.m., we set out.

It was a bright sunny morning. The sun shone fiercely. And me, always fearful of being under the sun, brought my umbrella along. "OMG teacher!!" the kids rolled their eyes and shook their heads, looking at me and my umbrella. Lols.

We walked up the pathway at the back of the hall and ...

passed the boys' dorms ...

heading past the lake ... see obstacle course beyond the lake ...

 heading towards the platform where the kiddies were supposed to do the Flying Fox. There was a safety briefing by the instructor, then a demonstration of how to put on the straps, and then up he climbed while showing the kiddies how to harness to the safety cables ...

and then finally before he was sent off flying, he explained the correct posture. It looked like a lot of fun. 

The kiddies, of course, then took turns to have a go at this activity. It was rather slow-going. So, my colleague brought half of the students for the obstacle race. An hour later, they'd finished the obstacle race but there were still many waiting their turns for the Flying Fox. 

Unfortunately, the weather changed suddenly as dark clouds moved nearer. Soon, it started raining. AND IT RAINED REAL HEAVY REAL QUICKLY. The kiddies started running back to the campsite, while my colleague and I made sure that no one was left behind at the area. THANK GOD FOR MY UMBRELLA! I got damp but was not drenched. :p

Darn, though. I thought I could try out Flying Fox too. I was sure it would be exhilarating. But it looked like I would be denied of this opportunity.

Anyway, the rest of the morning was spent doing indoor games and activities till lunch time. Then, I helped my unit get organised for lunch. They wanted to have fried rice with canned chicken curry. Fried rice? Too much of a hassle to cook within a short span of time using a tiny wok. So in the end, they settled for omelette and canned chicken curry with white rice. 

Geez ... canned chicken curry for 20 kiddies ...

The kiddies heated the curry up ... and before long were having their lunch. Generally, every other unit were having eggs and canned food - mostly chicken curry or sardines. Not very nutritious, right? Poor kiddies. But the whole thing was that the kiddies enjoyed themselves lots.

My lunch ... 
I must say that my colleagues can really cook very well. There were no compromise in ingredients nor flavours. Everything was yum, especially the fish. The fish were freshly bought this morning, seasoned with turmeric, deep-fried and coated with a spicy sambal.

I suppose it's psychology. When in the outdoors, the appetite gets better and one tends to eat more than usual. ;p  Not sure if it's true ... but that was what a friend told me once.

Anyway, I want to commend all the kiddies at the camp as they were very co-operative. I asked a group of boys to help out during Flying Fox. "Help show the girls how to put on the straps, " I instructed. And all of them did so without any reluctance. They really helped speed up the process by leaps and bounds. Thanks, boys!! Then at lunch, the girls made sure that every single member in the unit got enough food to eat. They really looked out for one another. I must really praise them for being such angels, such good kiddies to have in a school!! I'm so proud of you!

My shift ended after lunch. The kiddies remained at the camp till tomorrow. But I have another official duty to attend to tomorrow so I will not be heading to the camp anymore. Till next year, then. Stay safe and have great fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...