Sunday, April 22, 2012

Special Kelupis

I ate my first piece of Kelupis when I first came to Miri years ago. And I loved it ever since. Kelupis is steamed glutinous rice wrapped in a leaf. It is normally eaten with spiced meats like curry or rendang. I like it even with satay and peanut gravy.

Traditionally, Kelupis is eaten during Hari Raya Aidilfitri. But today, it is quite widely available throughout the year. Whenever I feel like eating, I usually buy from the local Pasar Malam or night market.

Today, my colleague ordered a bagful of kelupis from a student and shared some with me. 

Freshly made kelupis


Wow ... look at that ...

The Kelupis is made by the student's mother using black glutinous rice. It seems so simple, yet it is made up of such complex textures and flavours. It is soft but not mushy, and a little springy. It is fragrant, very rich with the taste of coconut milk, which also gave it a sweetness. It also has a salty after taste. Best of all, the rice has fully absorbed the flavour of the leaf, the Nyirik leaf, that gave it a totally refreshing and unique aroma. Yummmmm ..... This is easily one of the best Kelupis that I've ever eaten. Just give me that curry and I'm sated. 

2 comments:

  1. The kelupis s so well-cooked. I can see each grain of rice well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's totally SEDAP, I assure you!!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...