Friday, April 3, 2015

I Was A Wreck Until ...

I had such a horrible morning. Things were wrong as soon as I climbed out of bed. I did not have time for breakfast. I drove to work, but had to turn back because I forgot to check whether I had turned off the air-conditioner. I reached school, but dropped my key somewhere in the car .... so I was groping for it all over the car in the dark, I handed in a set of letters to my colleague .... only to be told that I had to re-do because they weren't what she wanted, I missed a sit-in period because I forgot to check the sit-in schedule .... thankfully the students came-a-looking fifteen minutes later, I went to the school office to hand in money .... but the clerk was on leave. Urrgghhh .... I was a wreck. I had a foul mood. I wanted to cancel my facial appointment ....................... but I didn't. Thankfully, I didn't.

* * * * * * * * 

I bought a hydrating facial for RM48.00 at their roadshow at The Spring Mall early in February, but I hadn't gotten the facial done. The vendor was Slimming Sanctuary, located at Jalan Laksamana Cheng Ho. It's a slimming centre, but apparently they offer facials too.

Anyway, The centre called me last week, enquiring if I would want to make an appointment for my facial. Since they took the initiative to call, I thought I would go ahead and get my face serviced. So I booked an appointment.

I know their tactic. They'd try to sell me products and services ... and this time, I would be totally prepared. I would not bring any of my credit nor debit cards. I would not bring a lot of cash. I would NOT be coerced into buying anything unnecessarily.

So I reached there before time, and was ushered into a little cubicle, where I was served a cup of ginger tea. I had to fill in my particulars in a form. I did not write more than necessary, and they did not examine my skin like I thought they would ..... hmn .... perhaps there was no need to because whatever skin-type I was, they'd go ahead with the hydrating facial anyway.

A steaming hot cup of kick-ass ginger tea!
I think it's home brewed .... very spicy and soothing and enjoyable! I loved this tea! 

10 minutes later, I was ushered to the lockers, where I kept my bag ... and then to the facial room. I changed, laid down on the facial bed and then the beautician started by removing my make-up, cleansing, exfoliating, steaming, extracting, massaging, applying serum .... and finally masking. The facial went well, I enjoyed it very much in fact, the beautician seemed professional and skilled. Certainly much better than that experience at a particular beauty centre here in town. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, it was relaxing .... after my stressful morning, I really needed that time to just rest.

About an hour and a half later, after my mask was removed, came another lady. She came and showed me bottles of skincare products .... raving about their benefits and then naming me the prices. RM299 ... RM369 .... RM399. She also tried to get me to sign up for a package of 6 facials at the promotional price of RM888. Guess that was the most hateful part that spoiled it for me. But I didn't blame her as she was just doing her job.

After I had changed back into my clothes and was ready to go, I politely turned down buying anything. Instead I enquired whether they had a menu or just a list of facials in case I wanted to walk in. She told me that they had many types of facials .... which they would recommend during consultation. Hmn ... that was ambiguous, I thought.

Hmn ..... I would want them to list out on paper their "menu" - the types of facials that they offer and their specific prices. I think that would make it clearer to customers about what they're getting themselves into. I checked the Slimming Sanctuary website once I got home ... I didn't see anything that costs RM888 ..... is it specific only to the outlet here? I don't know.

 Got this trial set free, as promised when I bought the facial during the roadshow 

Much as I enjoyed today's facial, however ... it does not look like I will return. What a pity.

So after an indulgent afternoon, I did not cook. We went to have dinner at The Best Corner at Premier 101 ....


Braised Pork Belly With Preserved Mustard


Midin with Garlic 

Tasted ok .... portion very insubstantial ..... so they were not cheap. I'd not recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...