Monday, April 27, 2015

Orange Sponge Cupcakes

I asked Mom to tutor me in baking. Lol. Of course she obliged. We decided to bake orange sponge cupcakes. The recipe was Nasi Lemak Lover's. Check them out here .... 

Mom made a batch .... and I made a batch. And they both turned out different. Mom's cupcakes were soft, light and airy, while mine was dense. So Mom's cakes had better texture. Oh well, I was a novice. So I had an excuse if my cakes did not come out so nicely. Haha ....

85g sugar + 100g self-raising flour + a pinch of salt + 35ml freshly squeezed orange juice + 25 ml corn oil + recipe on iPad

I beat the sugar and 3 eggs for 15 minutes ....


Beating the eggs and sugar ... 

Then I added in the orange rind and the flour and the orange juice and the oil. Mom, on the other hand, folded in the flour by hand. So that was where the difference was ..... Mom said I had overbeaten my cake batter, so that the air had been released. That's why my cakes were dense.

We poured into petite tins and baked at 160 degrees for 25 minutes 

And they were ready ...... 

My batch just out from the oven .... 

And check out the difference ...... 

 Mom's cakes are fluffy and bouncy .... 

My batch of cakes are dense ... :(( 

Nevertheless, I packed the cakes up to give away ...

Mom's cake on the left, my flop cake on the right 
I loved the origami ribbon which I made from recycled paper :)) 

Hmn ..... I think I haven't much talent for baking .... but then it was quite good fun to bond with Mom in the kitchen over those cakes. Looking forward to more baking adventures soon. :))

7 comments:

  1. Lol. So cutee.. then where's mine? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ya, have u try Ming Joo Kee laksa.? The laksa is the best in town. But the owner want to shut down her business...oh so sayang..u should try it before 1st of May . This Thursday is the last day. Go and try if u got time..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks PCP84. Lol .... wait till I improve on my cake baking skills :))

    Thursday? Oh no! I'm afraid I can't go already .... :((

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. Your pictures make me raring to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks sintaicharles, long weekend ahead. Go buy ingredients and bake :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. My bakes used to be horrible too. I think they were way worst than the ones that you baked last weekend. My mom even mentioned that the dog might suffer from brain concussion if the cake hit on the head. So, I stopped baking until the urge to bake returned. But this time I came prepared. I watched a lot of video tutorials which I could find on YouTube.

    The easiest way to fold in the flour is by using the balloon whisk. As long as you don't see any flour lump, you are all set. But sometimes, tiny flour lump is still acceptable though. You could always try checking out DessertzHouse blog. I like her video tutorials as they are easy to comprehend and ingredients are pretty much straight forward.

    Good luck in your future baking and looking forward to seeing your baking projects on the blog. =D

    Siaw Tan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Siaw Tan, for your encouragement. Yes, I think YouTube is very helpful, but ultimately, it still takes a lot of trial and error in the kitchen. I'll try the balloon whisk in my next project, thanks for the tip! :))

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...