Friday, December 6, 2013

Fresh Bakes From Fatt Bakery

Some say that this is the best kompia bakery in Sibu. It's a subjective opinion, really, as different people have different preferences. Kompia is a pastry, somewhat like bagel and is popular in Sibu. It would be so wrong to visit Sibu and not to buy and eat kompia.

We stumbled upon this small back lane the morning before. There were 2 bakeries here - Seng Kee and Fatt Bakery. And we walked back and forth the two bakeries, and finally decided to patronise Fatt Bakery.

Inside the shop was the baker, making kompia on the spot. A large charcoal oven was in there too ...

The oven, next to the table top where the baker was making kompia; Kompia is baked on the wall of the charcoal oven, thus producing a very unique flavour

In front of the shop, freshly baked kompia was sold ....

The store front

Neatly arranged in a glass case

Kompia refers to the savoury pastry, with lots of sesame seeds sprinkled on top. While the sweet variety is called Chu Nu Piang. The sweet versions are sold plain or with filling like butter and red bean paste. 

 My friends bought a lot! But I merely bought a few ringgit worths. 

Kompia - fresh from the oven and still warm .... , RM1.00 for 4 pieces

Butter Chu Nu Piang, RM2.00 for 5 pieces
I always preferred the savoury kompia, and was skeptical about butter Chu Nu Piang, but I quickly changed my mind after consuming one piece. The thin layer of butter at the centre was not only rich in flavour, it was moist too. It was somewhat like eating a piece of butter bun. Absolutely delicious and even more so when eaten hot! 

Of course, we had our fill on the spot. It was too irresistable. Back in Miri, my friend, a Sibu local, told me that she loved the butter Chu Nu Piang. She had never eaten it in Sibu! Surprisingly! I knew then that I would be eating the butter Chu Nu Piang in the future .... as she would be buying some for me whenever she went home!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...