Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Osbourne Biscuit

I was inducted to this biscuit just this year, and I grew to like it. It was by no means my first encounter with it though. I had come across Osbourne Biscuits when I was a child, but of course back then, I did not appreciate the biscuit. I found the biscuits to be dry and tasteless then. Searching my memory however, I do remember some of my aunts eating it dipped in a cup of strong and fragrant home-brewed kopi-o. Osbourne Biscuits, to simply put it, is a household biscuit which could be found in every home.

I was re-introduced to this biscuit at the workplace. I popped into the pantry just as my colleagues were having their teabreak. Many had a hot drink and were eating Osbourne Biscuits.

"Biskut mayat," U told me. Eew. That was a rather morbid for a biscuit. What had it done to deserve such a namesake. "Mayat" meant corpse in Malay.

"Why?" I asked.

"Don't know. We call it that way since young," she explained. "Maybe because when you soak it, it bloats like a corpse," U added. Double Eew. U sure had macabre opinions.

I ate a few pieces at that time, but did not particularly find them to be exceptionally delicious. I had also eaten other brands ... couldn't remember their names .... Cap Bunga Raya or Cap Ayam or something. All I found to be unmemorable. Till I ate Julie's Osbourne Biscuits.

Local brand Julie's Osbourne Biscuits

I found Julie's version to be thin and super crispy, salty and addictive! Very delicious. It went well with everything - whether it was coffee or tea or Milo. Once I started eating, it was quite difficult to stop. I had since recommended Julie's Osbourne Biscuits to a few people ..... and all of them liked it. 

The other day, in Miri .... I went from supermarket to supermarket, just to find this. But somehow, I couldn't find any ..... discontinued? Or in great demand that they were out of stock? Hmn ..... 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'm always put off by osborne biscuits 'cause like you I found them very dry, hard & tasteless. After reading this, I'm tempted to try Julie's version :) You should try their cream crackers too. I'm now hooked to their 'Golden' & 'Butter' crackers. Crispier & thinner than normal crackers, enough to eat on its own. Golden crackers are freely available but Butter for some reason is hard to find here in Kuching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonsey, do try the Julie's Osbourne biscuit. I am quite addicted to them .... but I do hope you are able to find them at the supermarket. I couldn't find them at 100% Discount Store, and there were only a few packets left at Ta Kiong The Spring last I checked yesterday!! Yes, I have tried the butter crackers - the one in the green and white packaging? I love them too!! I had a friend who survived on them day and night .... lol.

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...