Friday, December 20, 2013

Lunch @ Fu Yu Kopitiam, Sekama

We had wanted to go patronise IPH Roasted Cafe at Sekama, but the shop was closed.

So, we headed to the corner shop, Fu Yu Kopitiam for lunch. This is an award-winning laksa as written on the little pendant hung in front of the glass case. Well, it was the Top 50 best laksa award as bestowed by the Tourism Ministry for 2009/2010.

Fu Yu Kopitiam laksa, RM6.00 for special

Well, my bowl of laksa looked great! It had all the correct ingredients, and I particularly loved to see the green coriander garnishing the bowl as not many vendors used that anymore. Then,  I took a hearty slurp of the laksa gravy ... and I did not like it. I think the concoction of spices used in the gravy was not fragrant enough. Perhaps it needed a bit more of coconut milk to add to the sweetness. Hmn .... the stall might have cooked up some fantastic laksa back in 2009 for it to win an award. Perhaps its glory days are over. 

Curry Rice Special, RM8.00

I also ordered the curry rice special .... it looked great too, with lots of meat topping the rice. The portion was HUGE. There was the steamed white chicken, the braised pork belly and the char siew. I liked them all. Under the fried egg were a spoonful of cabbage stir-fry. However, the curry gravy needed lots of tweaking for it hardly tasted like curry. It was more like diluted curry water ...... I also found the rice to be too soggy. Mom, however, enjoyed the rice a lot. I guess some people did not mind a milder type of curry from time to time.

 Seafood Fried Kueh Tiaw, RM5.00 

The noodles were alright, but did not have enough wok-hei or wok's breath. In other words, not smoky enough in flavour. But Dad had liked this noodle stir-fry for years.

Well ...... I did not find lunch to be so great today .... but I MUST try IPH soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...