Monday, December 30, 2013

Silken Soft Tofu

Tofu is a cheap and good source of protein. At the market, a large square of silken soft tofu sells for only RM0.90. But it's just that I do not quite like tofu because of its lack of taste. But precisely because of that, tofu easily absorbs the flavours of its accompanying ingredients, making it one of the most versatile food items to cook.

Mom learned this dish from SIL. SIL, in turn, had learned it from her mom ... it's her mom's signature dish.

 Tofu in garlic and oyster sauce

What was done was to blanch the tofu, and then to sautee garlic and shallots in oyster sauce. Pour the mixture onto the tofu. Before serving, pour in a pre-mix of chopped garlic, chillies in sweet and tangy vingrette. The result was a very savoury dish which was rather nice to eat with rice. I really liked it. 

Two days later, Mom bought more soft tofu, and I volunteered to cook it for her .... though I did not really really have in mind what I would do ... 

Hot & Spicy Tofu

What I did was also to blanch the tofu ... and then I cooked a pork mixture with hot bean paste and poured it over the tofu. I also added some Shaoxing wine and malt vinegar into the meat sauce .... hmn ... it tasted alright, but not great .... next time ... I think I would enhance the flavour with oyster sauce I think. I much prefer Mom's version. 

Anyway .... I could very well learn to eat and love tofu .... lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...