Thursday, December 26, 2013

Yam Rice

My family loves yam or taro. They love the powdery texture and the earthy flavour of the tuber. Whenever Mom comes across yam at the market, she cannot resist. She has to buy a few pieces. And she loves to use yam in her cooking. Yam, when stewed with fish and leek lends a very rich flavour to the dish .... and when braised with soy sauce and pork absorbs the tasty flavours from the dish.

Mom came back from her morning walk and asked me whether I was interested in Yam Rice.

"Yes!" I replied enthsiastically. "I want it with pork belly ...... "

So we went to the market to buy some. 

 2 pieces of yam for RM4.80; It's RM10.00 a kg, considered a prized produce

Yam Rice is a traditional Teochew dish., whereby dices of yam are cooked together with the rice.


Yam dices

Accompanying ingredients can vary, but they generally include meat or preserved meats, mushrooms, dried prawns, and deep-fried garlic and shallots.


Accompaniments .... 

Yam rice

The result is a very savoury rice, infused with the flavour of yam and aromatics. It made a great one-dish meal. 

2 comments:

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...