Thursday, December 5, 2013

Shao Mai @ New Capitol Restaurant Sibu

My friend recommended me the shaomai here. Yeah, I did remember seeing some people eating them at the restaurant the other day, when I was having my lunch here.

So at tea break, I walked to the restaurant across the road. It was about 10.30 a.m., and the restaurant was not in operation yet. They were getting ready to commence business at 11.00 a.m.

A lady hurried to greet me, and I told her what I wanted. Shaomai. She, in turn, said that I had to go back later as they had not steamed it yet.

If I wanted the unsteamed ones, they were readily available at 10 pieces per pack for RM15.00. The steamed ones would only be sold later on. She advised me to place an order .... so I ordered 6 pieces. Each piece as RM1.50. This was the most expensive shaomai I had ever come across.

At about 12.30 p.m., I went back to collect my shaomai. 6 pieces were neatly arranged on the entire polystyrene container in 2 neat rows. Quite large the shaomai were.

Back at the hotel, I tried them .....

The shaomai at RM1.50 per piece

Taking one bite

Hmn .... the shaomai was compactly wrapped, so it tasted springy, there were crunchy bits of carrot and water chestnuts embedded as well .... the taste was pleasant as well - not too overly salty; and I could taste a faint taste of ginger in the seasoning.

I quite liked the shaomai, and I considered going back to buy the unsteamed ones to bring back home .... but the price deterred me. I thought they were too pricey and certainly not worth RM1.50.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! RM1.50 now that is expensive. Can't tell from your photo, is it the same size as a normal shaomai? I won't buy that no matter how good it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't buy? Lol ..... well, I was just curious as my friend as raving about it. They weren't exceptionally large, but were compactly filled. They were quite good, just expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shaomao like that is RM1 at Munch Cafe Kuching

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the info, may check out when in kuching :)

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...