Thursday, December 19, 2013

Yu Zhi Xiang @ Stutong, Kuching

I had never expected to bump into this certain someone, but I did. For a brief second, my heart fell, my legs went weak, and all the grievous hurt that this person brought me flashed right through my mind. I felt sick in my stomach and I lost my appetite.

Too dramatic? Lol .... maybe ... but I was annoyed because I was actually on my way to lunch. :((

Fourth Aunt and I were at Yu Zhi Xiang, our first time here after hearing the other relatives raving about the delicious fish noodles sold at this particular eatery. So, how was I going to savour my food at the state that I was in? Not good.

Anyway .... Fourth Aunt and I ordered fish slices in milky broth ....; we wanted a mixture of fresh fish slices and deep-fried fish slices in our broth; Here at Yu Zhi Xiang, we could select our choice of noodles and even request for the noodles to be served separately. This was something different. Normally, elsewhere, only rice vermicelli would be used, and served in the broth itself.

 My rice vermicelli ... quite a large serving, with some minced pork on top and garnished with chinese celery; Fourth Aunt ordered kuih teow, served the same way; The fish broth was served separately

Alright .... the noodles were very tasty, as they were packed with the flavour of lard. Delicious indeed although it might seem plain. 

 The fish broth
The broth filled about more than half of the bowl; actually I thought it looked a bit sorry as I could not see the fish at all; perhaps they could resort to using a smaller bowl. 

Searching for the fish ...... 

Well, the soup was tasty, very umami and not overpowered by the milk; The ingredients were pretty standard, with the use of salted vegetable and tomatoes in the broth; this shop, however, added deep-fried pork rind to give it some extra oomph. It worked. :P

Now ... the fish slices .... the deep-fried fish slices looked and tasted more substantial than the fresh non-fried slices; there were also fish cake slices used; Fourth Aunt thought the fish cake tasted like "homemade" ones. I actually wished there were MORE fish and fish cake in the bowl.

The noodles and fish broth were in fact good enough to eat on its own, there was no need of any other condiments, but at this shop, I found the accompanying belacan to be irresistable! Do try it.

Smelt good and tasted even better ...

At RM10.50, I did feel that the price was a bit steep, unless there was MORE fish in my broth. :P Yuan Zhi Xiang's fish broth was more delicate if compared to the famous Woo Pin's in KL which I found to be more robust and hearty.

Woo Pin Fish Head Beehoon :
http://inid2tell.blogspot.com/2009/11/woo-pin-fish-head-beehoon.htmlhttp://inid2tell.blogspot.com/2009/11/woo-pin-fish-head-beehoon.html

I did also like the clean and spacious area at the shop and the friendly staff. Yu Zhi Xiang is worth a try.

Sigh .... it's 4.30 a.m. ..... and darn the close encounter at lunch time for giving me a sleepless night. :((

5 comments:

  1. Yes, i'm ok. Thanks for your concern. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one likes one of those moments when pieces of bitter memories resurface. Hope you get over it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all for your concern, I'm feeling better today. :))

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...