Friday, October 5, 2012

Eating Crabs

"What do you want to eat?" my friend asked.

"Crabs," I replied. And so, we went to Sea Village at the Waterfront area. I'd never eaten here, but since there was a big crowd, we decided to have a go at this restaurant.

We sat in the open, and had to put up with the stench from the drain. Really, I would not sit near there the next time.

Then, came this guy to take our orders. How would I describe his attitude? Hmn ... he appeared impatient, nonchalant and indifferent. He was unfriendly and unhelpful. By then, we were starting to regret our decision to eat there.

After that, it was a long and boring wait for the food. 30 minutes at least! We vowed never to come to this restaurant anymore.

Finally, our crab came ....

 Stir-fry crabs with egg

After a short while, came the


Deep-fried pork ribs with sweet and sour sauce

The dishes arrived but the rice refused to come. We flagged down a few of the servers and requested for rice. "Ok," they said. But it took them so long to bring the rice for us. Service here really sucked. The restaurant just could not cope with the large number of diners. So why not they employ MORE people to provide better service? 

In the midst of the meal, my friend ordered a can of Coca-Cola. And the same thing happened. She had to flag down one server after another, and yet, it took a long, long time for them to send over the drink.  I suppose one needs a lot of patience to eat here. 

Our vegetables arrived last ... 

 Stir-fry midin with belacan 

So how did the food fare? Well, I'd say that the food here tastes good. That was probably why people put up with its BAD service.

1kg of crab, RM23.00
There were 5 small-sized crabs stir-fried with salted bean paste and eggs. It tasted good. The crab was sweet but the meat was not as firm as we had hoped. Anyway, it was a really big plate and the both of us could not finish eating. Another reason was that no mallets nor crackers were provided and it could be difficult to crack open the pincers. So in the end, we got tired eating. 

The pork ribs tasted good too. It was only that the meat was really tough and hard. I liked the vegetables a lot. The sambal was tasty and it was not too salty, and was really yum to eat with rice. Only that the portion of the midin was really small. I'd order either a bigger plate or another type of veg next time.

Paying the bill was another challenge. We had to wait for someone to be free to bring the bill. So in the end, we thought we should walk away in order for somebody to come. Indeed, we got up but walked across to the cashier to pay. The damage? Only RM46.00. My friend and I both thought it was reasonable. No wonder so many people eat here despite the long, long wait. 

Would I come again? Hmn ... I'd not sit near the drain. I'd have to be mentally prepared to wait. The whole meal took about 2 hours ... waiting time included. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...