Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Onsen Tamago Experiment

I was browsing Youtube the other day, and I chanced upon a video that teaches how to make Onsen Tamago or hot spring eggs. The ones shown in the video weren't those with runny whites, only runny yolks.

It looked pretty easy, so I decided to experiment. Today.

According to the video, boil the egg over medium fire for 6 minutes. Which I did. I think I boiled for about 7 minutes cause the egg was pretty big.


Then I dropped the egg immediately into iced water, like instructed. Not sure for how long, but I soaked it for about 2 minutes.


After I drained the egg, I rolled it on the cutting board to crack it. But I must have pressed too hard, and the whole thing cracked open and splattered all over the chopping board. Lols. I AM SO STRONG. Either that, or I'm so klutzy!! Lols!!

Well, look at that! 
If I had not squashed the egg, it would have been a nice onsen egg, wouldn't it? 

So I scooped the egg out with a spoon and served with a pan-fried cheese sausage and a set of cheese toast.

A simple meal for a starving person 

Despite everything, the egg tasted good! I liked it, and I do look forward to my next onsen tamago experiment. Based on what I get today, I'll probably boil the egg for about 7 minutes or even 7 minutes and a half.  And hopefully I'd not squash the egg next time! 


2 comments:

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...