Friday, October 26, 2012

I Could Not Wait For It To End

Hmn ... I was at Imperial Hotel again for a function. It being the end of the year, schools are busy organising graduations and prize-giving ceremonies. This one I attended was a really elaborate event and graced by a VIP politician.

But, it was a lengthy event and hours later, people got restless. I was tired and unwell. I could just close my eyes and doze off while sitting there .... but thankfully my friend was sitting beside me, and we killed time by chatting and catching up.

Food was served only at 2.30 p.m. (that was 3 hours after arrival!), and in a rushed manner as the hotel needed to finish serving the 9 course meal within a short time. As a result, the food could not be savoured and enjoyed. The event ended at 4.00 p.m., a good 5 hours later.

I was rather impressed with the food at Imperial Hotel the other day, but the food was not as great this time. My friend and I thought it was probably due to the fact that the food sat for too long, waiting to be served.

Five Hot & Cold Dish Combination
The starter 

Followed by a Sea Cucumber with Dried Scallop and Crab Meat Soup. Though we could taste the sea springy cucumber bits, my friend and I found the soup to be too thick and starchy. 

After that came the fish, 

Pan-fried Weever Fish in Teochew Style
My friend and lots of folks around the table liked the fish very much. My friend even said she wanted to replicate this dish at home. Lol. Well, I thought the fish was nicely fried, and would taste nice even without the gravy. Not sure what's a Weever fish though .... 

Lychee Wood Roasted Crispy Chicken came next. Did not take a photo but it looked like a ordinary roasted chicken. I thought the meat was a bit dry this time.

Braised Assorted Mushrooms with Broccoli
I liked the fungi and the veg ... 

Double boiled duck with Eight Treasure Herbs
Lol ... it's just a mass of blackness ... if I had time ... I would like to slowly savour this dish for I liked herb-infused meat which was really very soft. 

Stir-fried Chicken Dices with Cashew Nuts in a Yam Basket
The yam basket was nice, but I did not bother to eat the stuffing ... I did however, picked at the cashew nuts,

And finally, the desserts came ... there were fresh fruits and cake which I did not eat. But I helped myself to the Red bean and Sago with Coconut Milk dessert. This time, however, the consistency was not right - too thick! And the taste of orange peel was too prominent .... so I was rather disappointed.

I was only glad that the event had finished, I dutifully thanked the hosts and left. Phew! Well, I think I still prefer my events to be short and sweet .... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...