Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pleasurable

It's been 3 years since I***'s durian harvest. I*** is my colleague, and whenever there is durian, I would make sure I get some fruits from him.

Ever since the flowers bloomed and the fruits grew, I'd asked him when they would ripen. The last time I had asked him, he told me, "Two more weeks."

Well, I guess today is finally two weeks later because I managed to get myself 2 pieces!

The smaller fruit was RM8.00 while the bigger one was RM10.00. 2 pieces for RM18.00

I need not tell him. He knew I wanted him to wedge the fruits open for me. And he did. All I had to do when I got home was to pull the wedges apart (and it was harder than I thought!!).

Then I tucked in happily. I polished off the bigger fruit. It had 23 little seeds inside. I could eat all but 1 seed. That seed was already enjoyed by a writhing white little worm ... ;p

Anyway, much as I would like to eat the second fruit, I decided not to overdo it.

A yummilicious seed ...
Smells awful? Not really ... to me it smells decadent. 
Tastes like bile? Not really .... it's really rich, smooth, creamy and gooey, sweet, buttery and custardy ... real heavenly ...

And so I had to save the second fruit for another day.

In an airtight Tupperware lest I pollute the whole fridge with the overwhelming smell ;p

Well, durian is one of the greatest pleasures in life! Lols. That would be true for anyone who loves durians. Like me. ;)) 

4 comments:

  1. RM18 for two sounds like a bargain. When I last visited Miri earlier in the year it was something like RM35 for one (a good one mind you) from a stall outside of the market. Perhaps I was charged tourist prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Durians are expensive when they are not in season. And there are many different types of durians, some considered as "gourmet", i.e. Musang King. These are sold at RM30 - RM45 per kilo. So they are more expensive than others. The ones I bought were just ordinary durians. And because they are in season now, they are much cheaper. So how do you find durians?? Do you like them??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found that they vary in taste/flavour and the best ones I have tried I have enjoyed a lot. But I can't say they are my favourite fruit. I love to see the utter joy of my young nieces and nephews (6-10 years old)eating durians. I doubt many children in the UK would come within 5 feet of a durian let alone savour it with so much relish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoy durians. Yes, they do vary in taste, flavour and even textures! Some people prefer the bittersweet ones, but I love the purely sweet ones. I suppose many have a love-hate relationship with the fruit. They either love it to bits or they hate it with a passion!

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...