Saturday, October 13, 2012

The Fourth Time

When the kiddies told me they wanted to have their graduation dinner at Imperial Hotel, I was hesitant. In my mind, I did not associate Imperial Hotel with good food. But food was not top priority in getting the kiddies to organise a successful dinner. I had a lot more things to oversee!

This year's kiddies weren't as efficient as last year's. They were playful and some were uncooperative, and so they did give me some heartache and caused me to induce a fair amount of stress ... but at the same time, I was glad for a few key players whom I could depend on. These were the kiddies who were running the show.

This was our fourth convocation since its inauguration in 2009. Overall, everything went alright. The kiddies had a ball of time. They were dressed to the nines, gorgeously made up and even had their hair styled. And so they posed and took photographs with absolutely everybody!

Us teachers just sat back to relax ... and to talk .... and to eat ... and fortunately the food was yum! What a pleasant surprise!

Five Hot & Cold Dish Combination

I loved the starter!
  1. The sesame roll was my favourite. In there was minced chicken filled with carrot sticks and mayonnaise.The combination was wonderful.
  2. The grilled chicken thigh meat tasted like charsiew, and it was succulent and tender.
  3. Not sure what the pastry was, but I found it to be rather greasy. It was my least favourite among the five.
  4. The chicken dumpling tasted surprisingly good! I ate 2 pieces! 
  5. The jellyfish was full of texture, chewy and crunchy. I loved the spicy sauce.  
Sea Cucumber With Fish Lips Soup
I loved the soup. The consistency was just right, and it had very delicious bits of sea cucumber and fish lips in there. I loved the fact that I could actually chew on the ingredients. Add a bit of malt vinegar in there to enhance the taste!

Baked Sea Bass with Asam Sauce
The sauce was delicious, very piquant. I had some white fish meat doused with lots of sauce and chopped coriander. Yum ...

Charcoal Roasted Crispy Chicken
I did not taste the smoky charcoal flavour, but the chicken was nicely roasted. The meat was firm, juicy and succulent.

Braised Bean Tendon with Mushroom and Vegetables

Love the colours and flavours! 
I found to bean tendon to be very, very soft. They disintegrated when I held them with my chopsticks. 


Pan Fried Lamb Rack with Honey & Black Pepper Sauce
I did not really like black pepper which I found to be really strong in flavour. But I did not mind eating it once in a while. They were rather tender, and it was nice to chew  the meat ...

Yam & Chicken Diced Fried Fragrant Rice
I loved the rice. It was glutinous rice with diced mushrooms, yam, chicken, and dried prawns.

After so many courses of delicious food, we were anticipating dessert ... 

Fresh Fruits Platter
Nice colour, but I only ate the grapes

Rich chocolate cake
The cake was really rich and sweet and delectable ... I ate one and it brought me a tremendous sense of satisfaction ...

 Red Bean with Sago and Coconut Milk
This dish was served chilled. I loved it even MORE than the chocolate cake. It had the right consistency. It was sweet and refreshing and I loved the rich taste of the coconut milk. I'd have MORE if I could! What a perfect end to a perfect meal.

The next morning, my colleagues actually bothered to tell me that they had enjoyed the food! 

"Miss, sangat sedap makanan malam tadi," my colleague said. He had enjoyed the fish and the lamb the most. He said that he would remember the taste of the lamb for the next 3 days. Lols. He was probably exaggerating, but I knew that he just wanted to make his point. 

The two of them are now pushing for the annual staff dinner to be held there at the same venue ..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...