Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Homemade Shaomai

I arrived home near midnight. I did not think I was going to be that late. ;(

At first, the flight delayed for 10 minutes. Then, when we were taxiing into the parking bay, we were made to wait for 5 minutes as the spot was occupied by another aircraft. I jumped into the bus and waited 20 minutes for it to fill up. And when we finally reached the terminal, the driver was uncertain about the drop off point ... and brought us for a 5 minute ride.

People seemed to think that it was alright for a few minutes delay here and there. But they all added up, and I was certainly rather annoyed.

"Are you hungry?" Mom asked as soon as I stepped into the house.

"No," I said.

But she had made some shaomai in the afternoon, in case I got hungry. So, how could I resist?

Homemade Shaomai

I popped one into my mouth. And followed by another one. And another one. Lols. Cause they were yum.

As far as I remembered, Mom had never made shaomai before. This was probably her first attempt. I told her it was yum, and that made her happy. ;))

Mom's shaomai was really compact. It was full of texture, and was mildly flavoured. As a result, I could taste the natural sweetness of the fresh ingredients she used. What went in there were minced pork, minced fish paste, some chopped bacon, chopped lotus roots, chopped pumpkin, chopped carrots, chopped water chestnuts, and chopped roasted peanuts. These chopped ingredients provided much bite to the dumpling. I really enjoyed nibbling on them to slowly savour the taste.

Since we liked it, I'm sure Mom would not hesitate to make them again. Yayy!

2 comments:

  1. School holiday starts early for you this year? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no ... i was on a short break during hari raya haji ;))

    ReplyDelete

Revisiting Miri

I went back to Miri for the first time in 7 years and 10 months.  Miri Waterfront I left Miri in 2014, and years have passed in a blink of a...